Tuesday, February 22, 2011

My favorite Britishisms so far...

I'm ranking them in order of preference, with my most favorite one at the end.

3) Torch. Here in the UK, this means flashlight. This one is my least favorite because, while it amuses me, it often disappoints me as well. Whenever someone asks someone else if he/she has a torch, I expect someone will whip out a giant flame, and I'm disappointed when that person is only holding a tiny flashlight.

2) Bap. To be honest, this one is only a favorite because, at the West Dean gardens restaurant, it is usually preceded by the word "bacon." A bacon bap is a very simple thing--a soft, white roll filled with British bacon, which is like Canadian bacon. I could probably eat a bacon bap every few days...with dangerous results.

1) Wellies! Everywhere I go in my galoshes, older ladies tell me, "Oh, I love your wellies." I love hearing this Britishism the most because, aside from the word being so much cuter than "galoshes," it makes me think of the fab four! Thank you, fab four, for the cutest wellies ever!

5 comments:

  1. What do your wellies look like? Tell me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, those wellies are darling! So if you only have one side, is it a welly? Does this come from
    the Greeks? What if someone should lose their golashes in the well, while collecting water for the day? Could become quite a tongue twister...cute observations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Marissa, my galoshes have a houndstooth pattern on them.
    @Mom, according to Wikipedia, welly is an abbreviation of wellington boot, which is a "protective boot popularized by the first Duke of Wellington." Which is why it's funny that, in the BFG by Roald Dahl, when Sophie asks if people from Wellington taste like boots, the BFG says something like, "No, they are tasting of hats!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! I love the word "wellies," too! How cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love wellies....but I love bacon bap more only because I gave up meat for lent and that sounds AMAZING right now! Take a pic and postttt! I'm so glad you are enjoying your wellies! I have been wearing mine tons here in California, too! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete